Roasted Peppers and Mozzarella Salad
Updated: Jan 6
Meat lover, vegetarian or vegan. This recipe can be modified to suit any special dietary requirements, and that's why it's one of my old-time favourites when looking for a delicious, easy meal.
I first came across this recipe while using Hello Fresh, and it was love at first sight!
A mixture of mozzarella, roasted peppers, rocket salad, Serrano Ham and almond flakes. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, you can ditch the ham, as it doesn't make a lot of difference at the end of the day (taste-wise). If you are a vegan, replace the mozzarella with vegan mozzarella. There are plenty of dairy alternatives out there. You can even make you're own!
There's not much to say about this absolutely delicious meal, so without further ado, let's get cooking!
Don't forget to have fun and hope you enjoy this recipe!
Ingredients for two
2 bell peppers (I always use three as I love roasted peppers)
2 balls of mozzarella (or vegan mozzarella)
2 slices of Serrano Ham (optional)
1 small pack of rocket salad (about 70g)
1/2 cup of almond flakes
1 tbsp of oil
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
Bread for serving - I like naan bread, but it can be any bread you fancy: ciabatta, garlic bread, baguette, etc
1. Preheat the oven to 230 -250 degrees. Wash the peppers and set them on a baking tray covered with baking paper (no need to cut or take the seeds out). Sprinkle a bit of water and grill them on the top shelf of your oven until the skin starts to get darker and peels off about 20 minutes. Remember to turn them regularly, so they roast on all sides.
2. Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan on medium heat. Once hot, toss the almond flakes, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside, away from the source of heat (if left on the heated hob, they will continue to toast)
3. Mix the balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Wash the rocket salad. Drain the mozzarella. Cut the Serrano Ham into thin strips
4. When the peppers are done, place them in a colander, cut them open and let them drain and cool down for a bit.
5. While the peppers are cooling down, slice the bread, set it on a baking tray (drizzle a bit of oil, salt and pepper if needed) and bake it until the salad is ready 6-8 minutes
6. Once the peppers are cold enough to be handled, start peeling off the skin, and carefully remove any seeds. Set the peppers on a chopping board and cut them into thin strips.
In a big bowl, add the rocket salad, roasted peppers and drizzle the balsamic vinegar dressing. Toss to coat and then divide between plates. Add the mozzarella by tearing it into small pieces, top with the serrano ham and scatter the almond flakes.
Serve with hot bread straight from the oven!
SIDE NOTE: If you prefer a quicker version for this recipe, you have the option to halve the peppers and discard the core and seeds before roasting. Cut them into small strips and set on a baking tray. Drizzle a bit of oil, salt and pepper, and roast them inside the oven for 15-20 min. This will save you some time.